Things that Entertain or Enlighten Me - Travel In the USA, Dining, Recipes, Good Reading

Sunday, January 15, 2006

New Mexico/Arizona travel continued

Dear Friends,
Glad you came!

In my first two blogs I’ve tried to write about several facets of my life so that you could decide whether or not this blog would be of interest to you without you having to spend too much time in the decision making stage. I feel scattered. I feel like I am hopping from subject to subject without any depth, and it doesn’t exactly feel right. I think this will correct itself if I just keep writing. You will probably let me know what you like and don’t like – but you have to be civil about it.
Anyway I promised you more information on those travels and so I added those links to the Acoma site and to Settler’s Crossing and the picture of one of the houses from Settler’s Crossing.
Now I’d like to tell you why my reading group went to New Mexico and Arizona and a little of what we found. We were interested in the New Mexico/Arizona sites because we had all just read one of Tony Hillerman’s mysteries which take place in Arizona not far from the Acoma Pueblo and because his mysteries are peopled with Indians. Many of us had read several and had learned a little about the Indian culture of that area quite painlessly by reading fiction. We flew to Albuquerque and then rented a van. The Acoma site is actually so much more interesting than it looks from the pictures. It is small pueblo (village) on top of a mesa that rises straight up from the Earth about 370 ft. The view from the highway approaching it was amazing. We took a bus to the top of the mesa. The pueblo is inhabited and some of the people were there. The view from the top is also more than interesting. The Acoma pueblo is actually called The Acoma Pueblo National Monument. The Canyon de Chelly site is




http://www.americansouthwest.net/arizona/canyon_de_chelly/national_monument.html
There are other websites, but this one seems to have the best pictures. We stayed in a motel run by the park services which was adobe, at least in appearance. It was clean, and interesting. I love to travel. It was a hoot!
I know on day one of this blog I promised my husband’s recipe for pork chop ossa buco. I will get back to that in less than a week. The meat was so tender and the sauce was just a very subtly seasoned tomato sauce with fennel.


Before I close for now, I want to tell you how grateful I am for the opportunity to visit with you this way and for the time I have to do this. Retirement is good. I am also thankful for our golden lab (Jodi was ½ golden retriever and ½ yellow lab.) that we had for years but is no longer with us. What a pleasant memory she is. I spend just a few minutes daily with a pleasant memory as well as focusing on what I've enjoyed that day - what I am thankful for.

You take care,

MaggieGladYouCame




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home