Things that Entertain or Enlighten Me - Travel In the USA, Dining, Recipes, Good Reading

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Sweet Onion Dip


Dear Friend,

Another beautiful day here.

How about something different in the way of an appetizer? Fritos with swiss chess, mayonaise and sweet onions make a delicious combination. This appetizer recipe is what my friend Donna calls "A Cup, A Cup, A Cup." For a real taste treat, simply grate swiss cheese to make 1 cup, mix it in a quart cassarole with 1 cup mayonaise and 1 cup chopped sweet onions. Then add a touch of whatever you like - press a little garlic or crumbled bacon or don't add anything extra. Bake it uncovered in a preheated oven - 400 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. Then dip away with those Fritos. It's smooth and creamy and just yummy and I'm not even a swiss cheese fan. Need I say that light Hellman's can be substituted for the real thing. I have even been known to lightly touch the top of this, when it has stood for a little bit and the oil floats to the top, with a paper towel to remove a little of the fat. Can also be fixed the day before you need to take it somewhere and reheated in the microwave. I have used this when I knew the meal would be heavy with salad and vegetables rather than meat. Yummy. I think I'd like to try this when dinner is cold gazpacho soup and a salad or half a sandwich.

I am grateful for good food.
I remember one Halloween when my elementary school aged boys made the headless horseman shaped from coat hangers and covered with their clothes. He was holding his head which was a carved pumpkin. So cute. Their idea and their project. They did it, together.

Take care,

MaggieGladYouCame

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home