Things that Entertain or Enlighten Me - Travel In the USA, Dining, Recipes, Good Reading

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Eggs Golden Rod - Pretty, Quick and Easy

Dear Friends,
Aren't Saturdays great !
If you like cream gravy and eggs here’s an old favorite of mine, that few others seemed to have heard of, much less tried. My husband taught me to make this and he learned it from his Mom. I later found it in my favorite ­old cookbook. I have had many favorite cookbooks since. But I have gone back to some of the recipes in this cookbook many times.

Eggs Golden Rod
Serves 4

4 hardboiled eggs
4 pieces of toast
6 T. butter
6 T. flour
1 ½ cups milk
Salt, pepper to taste
Paprika for color

I hard boil eggs once every so often, then when I am in a hurry for breakfast I can make a deviled egg. Sometimes I dress up a salad with grated hardboiled egg on it or if I want to make an egg salad or tuna fish sandwich they are there and ready. This recipe is quick for me because I already have hardboiled eggs on hand. If you need to cook your eggs, it will take you about 15 minutes more than the 10 or 15 minutes it takes to actually make Eggs Golden Rod.

Separate hardboiled egg yolks from the white. Put the whites in something that you can dice them in – I use a large glass measuring cup. Dice them.

In small sauce pan melt the butter. When melted, stir in flour and cook for at least a minute on medium heat – bubbling – I stir mine most of the time. The butter should NOT be browning.
Then slowly add milk to the butter/flour mixture, stirring, to make a medium white sauce. That’s the gravy part. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Pop the bread in the toaster.

When white sauce is thickened and ready, add the chopped whites. Heat through.

Pour white sauce over toast and grate hardboiled egg yolks over it. I like to lightly sprinkle paprika over the top for color. Isn’t that pretty!
I follow this with fresh fruit – like an apple. My husband can eat two slices. Some folks might like to add sausage to the sauce for a heavier dinner. Not as quick that way. I also make this with asparagus in the white sauce instead of egg. Very different, but still light and quick.

The pictures aren’t mine. The Eggs Golden Rod picture is from the Betty Crocker New Picture Cookbook . The cookbook picture was borrowed from ebay. This book in a pristine first edition can cost, on ebay with shipping, as much as $90. Mine was so messy from years of cooking with it, that I bought myself a new one on ebay. Just love having it.

I feel very fortunate today because we are remodeling our kitchen. It is just an empty shell right now. We've chosen a granite called Copper Canyon for the countertops and will use that as our focal point.
I'm really enjoying the remodeling.

I also enjoy writing these letters. Hope you enjoy reading them. If you do and know someone else that might enjoy some of my posts, please forward a link to them so that they can join us.

Take care

Maggiegladyoucame



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home