Things that Entertain or Enlighten Me - Travel In the USA, Dining, Recipes, Good Reading

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Great magazine program at our library

Dear Friend,
Glad you came today.

I've returned from our public library, where we have a great fund raiser that I enjoy immensely. Magazines are donated to the library and then the public can buy them for 10 cents each. I picked up a Traditional Home, 2 Sunsets, a U S News and World Report and a Ladies Home Journal for 50 cents total. Next week I will donate them to the library for someone else to buy for 10 cents again. My husband and I subscribe to several magazines and when we've finished with them we take them to the library also. The library has made a small, narrow room with slanted display shelves on both walls for display of these magazines. Volunteers straighten them often and put them in alphabetical order. The library makes several thousand dollars every year from magazine sales. Think about the paper saved too. Now what if 100 libraries did this? Don't you use the library? I spend about $400.00 on books a year on top of my library use. but there are lots of books that I just don't need to own. I haven't got the space to store them. I need to learn to use the library even more. We have a good one.

Today, I am grateful for another sunny, cool day; a friend who called; and the Oprah show (most of the time). I was at a nursery today that is still taking down Christmas. There was a flocked Christmas tree (artificial) that reminded me of when my Mom used Ivory Snow flakes and a little water to flock our tree. It was a lovely tree. My son married recently and he and his bride are still getting gifts. People can be so kind.

The following is a link to a website where you can answer some questions if you choose to, and then find out how big a footprint on this earth you leave as a consumer. Guess that came to mind because of the library program that saves paper and makes money for the library.

http://www.mec.ca/Apps/ecoCalc/ecoCalc.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=619029&bmUID=1105643255039

Take care,
Maggie GladYouCame

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home