Things that Entertain or Enlighten Me - Travel In the USA, Dining, Recipes, Good Reading

Friday, January 20, 2006

Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg

Dear Friend,

After finishing The Kite Runner I needed something light to read. Fannie Flagg's Standing in the Rainbow was on the shelf and calling my name. I am about 1/2 way through the book and I don't think I've ever read such a vivid description of a time period. A large part of the book takes place in the 1940s and 1950s. The music they listened to and sang, the movies they watched, the furnishing of their homes and the routine of small town life come alive because of Flagg' joyful word pictures. In order to build suspense, she plants little or some times even large glimmers of the future in each chapter. As I become enamored with Neighbor Dorothy, Doc, Anna Lee and Bobby, and now Betty Rae I become sure that life is going to be real for them and that they, like us all, are going to have their heart aches as well as their joys.

Gorgeous sunshine in the Southwestern United States today. Just love it. This time of year I am so glad that there are pansies. I like to see them in clumps. They really standout when planted that way.


I'm really so glad you came - come again soon.

Maggiegladyoucame

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home