Things that Entertain or Enlighten Me - Travel In the USA, Dining, Recipes, Good Reading

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Byodo-In Temple on Oahu.



Byodo-In Temple on Oahu.

Dear Friend
I enjoy the Victorian architecture in London, the New England salt boxes in our own New England and the Santa Fe adobes. But while in Hawaii on Oahu, my friend Connie knew about this lovely respite. And never having been to Japan. I loved seeing something that I know to be built as it was in Japan. This temple is a replica of one there. There was a short walk around the grounds and gardens at the Byodo-In Temple in the Valley of the Temples. Here we fed the wild birds right out of our hands.

I believe Nan is feeding bar dove in this picture. The Japanese architecture of the building is interesting – we don’t have anything like that here at home, and their gardens are restrained, with a very natural appearance which I find peaceful. The Japanese gardens at Hillwood House in Washington D. C. remind me of the ones here at the Temple. (To see a picture of just a part of the garden, move to the bottom of this letter.) We probably spent an hour or less there, but it was memorable and again a nice change from shopping, beaching, standing in line for a tour, etc. I believe we did this on the way to Buzz’s for lunch and the walk on the beach – look back a couple of days for information on those.

I’m looking forward to whatever surprises this week will bring us. Hope spring weather comes our way. We had it until it officially became spring then the temperature dropped to chilly, late fall-like weather. I’m expecting humming birds to migrate in this week. Hope you have a good small surprise this week. Maybe it'll be something that makes you smile. Look for it.

Take care,

Maggieglayyoucame

Remember these pictures are mine and you mustn't borrow them without permission.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home