Things that Entertain or Enlighten Me - Travel In the USA, Dining, Recipes, Good Reading

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Quesadilla recipe

Posted by Picasa
Dear Friend,
How are you? I am enjoying this hot day. Now by the middle or July or first of August I will have had it with the heat and by the time there are cool mornings in September I’ll be looking forward to a cold day. I love the change of seasons with emphasis on the word “change.”
I made quesadillas the other night for the first time. I’ve enjoy eating them out often, but with kitchen remodeling going on, I have barely cooked. Before that when I was not retired we ate out often. But this recipe is so easy I knew I could do it even with my pantry still in the old kitchen, my refrigerator in the front garage along with my dishes, and my hotplate in my husband’s workshop in the back of the house. The beauty of this recipe is that it can be customized to meet your tastes. It needs the cheese to stay together and to be a quesadilla, but all the rest is up to you. Here we go.

Quesadillas – this is a Mexican cheese sandwich. This recipe makes 3 quesadillas which feed my husband and I.

Ingredients

6 soft flour tortillas (about 7 inches across - if you use the large size then just use more stuff)
butter to sauté them in
tablespoon or so of olive oil for vegetables
grated Monterrey Jack and Cheddar Cheese ( at least a cup or cup-and-a-half)
ham, chicken, or shrimp (about 3 ounces total)
½ onion and about a ½ a bell pepper – just a few strips, flavor of your choice
Salsa or tomato as you choose

Here’s all it takes

I sautéed the finely chopped onion and slender strips of bell pepper in a skillet in the hot olive oil for just a few minutes until the onion began to look clear and the pepper was softened.
Then I removed them to a plate.
I wiped out the skillet just a little and added a small pat of butter and moved the skillet until it was just about coated with oil and butter.
Then I plopped the first tortilla in the skillet and quickly added about a third of my meat, cheese and vegetables on top of the tortilla.
I put a little spicy salsa – just a teaspoon or two in this first one.
Then I put the second tortilla on top of that mixture pressed it down with a spatula for a few seconds so that it got stuck to the cheese.
Put some small dabs of butter on top of the tortilla.
Now it’s time to flip the whole thing and cook the other side for a minutes of two. Just until it’s lightly browned and the cheese is melted.
Using my spatula, I moved it to a plate – a pretty one of course.
Then I cut it like a pie into 6 pieces. This whole process is less than 5 minutes.

Then I began again on the second one.
This one I added a slice of Deluxe American Cheese torn into small pieces to mix with the other cheeses, because I like the way it melts.

Then I made the third – reheated the first one in the microwave for 20 seconds on 80% power. And I was done with dinner. Tomato wedges go nicely with this because we love tomatoes. I could see cantaloupe in the summer or soup in the winter. If you wanted to keep the theme Mexican maybe, jicama sliced and served with fresh lime. These sandwiches are so good if you like cheese, butter and sandwiches. But a little different because there wasn’t any bread. As you can see I am into easy!

I have had these with fajita meat instead of ham or shrimp, I have had them with just a little refried beans spread on one tortilla in additon to chili. This recipe can use what you like !

Take care of you,

MaggieGladYouCame


The Photograph is borrowed from another blog and I don't know where she got it - but it is not original.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home