Things that Entertain or Enlighten Me - Travel In the USA, Dining, Recipes, Good Reading

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Quick, Easy Grilled Ham and Cheese, Marinated Green Beans

Dear Friend,

We had a very good lunch today. We ate out so everyone got exactly what they wanted. When my eyes swept over the word “tortellini” and lit on the words “lobster sauce” I knew what I was going to order. My husband ordered veal with garlic mashed potatoes. By the time I finished the chocolate bunny that the kids had brought me, I was stuffed. When supper rolled around this evening I was hungry, but didn’t need another meal as highly caloric as what I had for lunch. H- m-m-m maybe my quick supper was similar in calories, I don’t know, but it seemed lighter.

Grilled ham and cheese sandwiches, marinated green beans, and an apple for dessert

To begin with, open a can of green beans and drain well. Put them in a container that has enough room for you to toss them in it. Now lightly drizzle with your favorite oil and vinegar or Italian dressing. I like to use Wishbone’s Just 2 Good Italian with a shake of balsamic vinegar added to it. Salt and pepper if so desired. Toss. Then you will put them on a couple of lettuce leaves on your plate – just to look pretty. You can dress them up with whatever you have – toasted almonds or grated hard boiled egg – or leave them plain as I did.

You know how to do grilled ham and cheese sandwiches – I use real butter and a slice and a half of American cheese in order to cover the whole piece of bread and a couple of slices of ham sandwich meat in order to add a little more protein and flavor.

I add an apple for dessert. I like the crisp texture and tart, sweet taste of an apple but I add it to this meal because I didn’t have anything crunchy yet in this meal. This takes me 15 to 20 minutes max to put together. My husband can eat two of these sandwiches even after a big lunch, but it’s still quick, easy and my version of comfort food. The marinated green bean salad recipe I got from someone years ago at Weight Watchers. If you have a favorite variation for either one of these recipes I'd love to see it. Leave it as a comment, please.

I know this isn’t a company dish, but most of the time I don’t need to cook a company dinner – I need a meal with a variety of food groups, tastes, and textures. Then it’s back to my book, my sewing, this writing, or maybe a walk with a friend. Maybe shopping on ebay. I just don’t want to spend a great deal of time cooking most of the time – nor do I want another hamburger, pizza, etc. Then there’s those times that I want to bake or make soup or something special like jalapeño potatoes. But that wasn’t tonight.

I’m experimenting with the photography software, Picassa2, that I downloaded from Google. It has a “glow” feature that I used for the first time with this picture. I’m learning. Look back to one of my earlier blogs for more information on how to get this software free.

I’m grateful for my husband tonight. He’s fun, bright, and kind. Who could ask for more? Well he is more – but those are the things that I thought about today.

You take care of you,
Maggiegladyoucame
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home