Things that Entertain or Enlighten Me - Travel In the USA, Dining, Recipes, Good Reading

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Birding in Clearwater, Florida

Dear Friend,
We are enjoying our drive through Florida. Tonight we are in Clearwater and have had a delightful day exploring in the Clearwater, Dundedin and Tarpon Springs area. We began the day with an amazing discovery. This morning as we drove out of our motel, we spotted two peacocks in the small, unfenced yard of a house across from several acres of wooded undeveloped land. Escaped pets I thought. (See my picture on the right.)
Then after walking on the Clearwater Beach we went to a small cafe for a coke. While sitting at an outdoor table at the little cafe looking out at the beach I noticed three good sized birds on the telephone wire above. They were bright green. Two had dark heads. I didn't have my binoculars with me, but they sat there a good 20 minutes and my husband and I both watched them. I have checked my birding books and believe those birds to be green parakeets - it says they are 13 inches long and all green and that's what we saw.
Not at all what I expected but interesting. What a great day for a birder! When I read about the bird breeds in Florida, I have not read about wild peacocks and what I think were parrots, but that's what I'm seeing.

Take care of you,

MaggieGladYouCame





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home